Our rear diffuser is the companion component to the front splitter and functions to decrease drag and increase down force by improving the underbody airflow and its transition to ambient air. As with the front splitter, our rear diffuser is manufactured using the high quality prepreg carbon fiber and is a quick and easy install that requires no modifications to the SLS’s rear bumper or underbody.
- Please Note: SLS rear diffuser will partially obscure rear backup camera. An optional camera housing extension (Part # Aero:88.197.20.CAM) is available should you wish to retain full camera view angle
- 197 - SLS AMG
- 197 - SLS AMG GT
What exactly is prepreg carbon fiber?
- Prepreg is widely known as the finest process in carbon fiber manufacturing and has been used for aerospace and military applications because of its superior consistency in weight, thickness, fitment, resin, carbon layout, and overall quality.
- The pre-impregnated (prepreg) fiber method creates stiffer, stronger laminates with controllable, predictable results and the result is a consistent, tight fiber weave which not only looks amazing, but adds strength. Other companies use a lower cost, wet-layup method which results in components of inferior, strength, appearance and overall quality.
- To explain this process in short, the fiber is pre-impregnated (hence the name) with resin at a production facility, rolled on spools, and frozen to prevent the resin from curing prematurely. This material is than cut and hand laid into a mold to the proper thickness and cured at strictly controlled temperatures. This process creates a laminate with a precisely controlled resin volume and in turn is 20-30% stiffer and stronger than an equivalent thickness wet laminate process.
- This ensures our customers receive components which not only look good on the vehicle standing still, but won’t crack, warp, fall off or fade when mounted to the exterior of their vehicle after six months or while driving at high speed.